|Enzyme Action: Testing Catalase Activity|
- To explore the effect of changes in enzyme concentration, temperature, and pH on enzyme activity
- To test the effect of the concentration of catalase on the enzymatic breakdown of hydrogen peroxide
- To test the effect of pH on the enzymatic breakdown of hydrogen peroxide
- To test the effect of temperature on the enzymatic breakdown of hydrogen peroxide
- CBL/TI system
- Vernier Biology Gas Pressure Sensor
- temperature probe or thermometer
- hydrogen peroxide
- fresh calf's liver
- water bath
- pH buffers (4, 7, and 10)
- see lab for additional materials
- Student groups will measure the effect of enzyme concentration, pH, or temperature on the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide by catalase.
- Data will be shared among groups.
- Students will compare experimental results to conditions normally found in the human body.