Standard 5.0 Controlling Language
Students will control language by applying the conventions of Standard English in speaking and writing.*
- 1. Use grammar concepts and skills that strengthen oral language
- Use complete sentences to respond to questions
- 1. Comprehend and apply standard English in oral language
- Use sentences with subject/verb agreement
- Use correct verb tense
- 1. Explain the purpose of mechanics to make and clarify meaning
- 2. Comprehend basic punctuation and capitalization in written language
- Recognize that names begin with a capital letter
- Recognize that space is used to separate words
*Emphasis is on application of conventions rather than memorization of terms.
Indicators/objectives that include assessment limits are assessed on MSA *New Standards identifies the need for students to process 1 million words per year to maintain academic progress.