Standard 6.0 Listening
Students will demonstrate effective listening to learn, process, and analyze information.
- 1. Demonstrate active listening strategies
- Attend to the speaker
- Ask appropriate questions
- Respond appropriately to clarify and understand
- 2. Comprehend and analyze what is heard
- Determine whether a speaker's general purpose is to inform, to persuade, or to entertain
- Identify rhythms and patterns of language, including alliteration, onomatopoeia, rhyme, and repetition
- Demonstrate an understanding of what is heard by retelling, asking questions, relating prior knowledge, and summarizing
- Follow a set of multi-step directions
- Listen carefully to expand and enrich vocabulary
- Make judgments based on information from the speaker
Indicators/objectives that include assessment limits are assessed on MSA *New Standards identifies the need for students to process 1 million words per year to maintain academic progress.