Standard 6.0 Listening
Students will demonstrate effective listening to learn, process, and analyze information.
- 1. Demonstrate active listening strategies
- Attend to the speaker
- Ask appropriate questions
- Contribute relevant comments
- Relate prior knowledge
- 2. Comprehend and analyze what is heard
- Determine speaker's purpose
- Identify how the language of the presentation contributes to effect and meaning
- Elaborate on the information and ideas presented
- Draw conclusions based on the information presented
- Determine speaker's attitude through verbal and non-verbal cues such as tone of voice, inflections, and facial expressions
Indicators/objectives that include assessment limits are assessed on MSA *New Standards identifies the need for students to process 1 million words per year to maintain academic progress.