State Curriculum Toolkit
Tools aligned to State Curriculum indicators and/or objectives.
- Introduction for Standard or Indicator
- Public Release Items
Actual MSA items and annotated student responses as appropriate
Standard 4.0 Chemistry
C. States of Matter
- Use evidence from investigations to describe the effect that adding heat energy to different types of matter has on changing matter from one state to another.
- Based on data from investigations describe the effect that removing heat energy from different types of matter has on changing matter from one state to another.
- Analyze data gathered and formulate a conclusion on the effects of temperature change on most substances.
D. Physical and Chemical Changes
- Investigate and identify ways to describe and classify mixtures using the observable and measurable properties of their components.
- Based on data gathered, identify and describe various processes used to separate mixtures.
- Use data gathered to provide a reasonable explanation for the idea that the mass of a mixture is equal to the sum of the masses of its components.
Note: Highlighting identifies assessment limits. All highlighted Indicators will be tested on the Grades 5 and 8 MSA. The highlighted Objectives under each highlighted Indicator identify the limit to which MSA items can be written. Although all content standards are tested on MSA, not all Indicators and Objectives are tested. Objectives that are not highlighted will not be tested on MSA, however are an integral part of Instruction.